Sunday, February 15, 2009

Label Reader

Since having a child I have been more conscious of what I am buying from the store and what ingredients my food has in it.
There is a show on TV I love to watch and it is call The Doctors. In a segment on food they listed 3 things to watch out for when buying food. 

1. High Fructose Corn Syrup... Many people believe it to be natural or good for you when in fact it is worse for your body then regular table sugar. 
2. Hydrogenated Oil... This is also known as Trans Fat. This type of fat heightens bad cholesterol and lowers good cholesterol. HO's are used now a days so much more because they prolong they shelf life of a product. 
3. Artificial Food Dyes... AFD's are really not good for they body. It is now being discovered that there is a link between AFD and ADHD. 

On the right side of the blog I have a link to 3 different websites that discuss each of these 3 things at length. Also, If you roll over the Bold Italic words it will take you to the websites as well. 

Keeping our kids and families healthy is such an important task. I know I am not perfect and don't read every label of food but I try my hardest. The best thing is, if you can, buy as much organic food as possible. Organic foods might cost a bit more but search or coupons and local grocery store for deals. If you can lower the intake of these 3 things as much as possible in your life you will be healthier for doing it.

If you have any questions or comments about this topic I would love to hear from you. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Cara, Even Kroger has a pretty extensive organic section. It does cost more but still not as high, as you know, as Whole Foods or someplace like that. I love this blog. You are awesome.
    Much love, Paige

    ReplyDelete